Sunday, March 13, 2011

[ZESTCaste] No collateral for loans to SC/ST: FM

 

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/no-collateral-for-loans-to-sc-st-fm/761113/

No collateral for loans to SC/ST: FM
Agencies
Posted online: 2011-03-11 14:15:03+05:30

New DelhiThe government today said the provision of collateral
security for getting loans from banks has been waived for Scheduled
Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST) as part of measures to grant them
easier access to credit.

"There is no need for collateral security for these sections for
getting bank loans," Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Lok
Sabha while replying to supplementaries during the Question Hour.

He said banks should not insist on deposits while considering loan
applications under government sponsored poverty alleviation
schemes/self-employment programmes from borrowers of these (SC/ST)
communities.

In case of rejection of loan applications of SC/ST, it should be done
at the next higher level instead of at the branch level indicating
proper reasons for rejection, he said.

Mukherjee said banks have been asked to create greater awareness among
SC/STs in order to encourage them to access credit facilities.

"Field staff should contact such borrowers to explain schemes and
their advantages," he said.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
.

__,_._,___

[ZESTCaste] Honour killing: Death sentence commuted for 5

 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/Honour-killing-Death-sentence-commuted-for-5/articleshow/7690358.cms

Honour killing: Death sentence commuted for 5
TNN | Mar 13, 2011, 06.45am IST

CHANDIGARH: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday commuted the
death sentence awarded to five people in an honour killing case to 20
years imprisonment, while acquitting two men for lack of evidence.

A division bench of Justices S K Mittal and M Jeyapaul converted the
death sentence, ordered by Karnal sessions court in March last year,
to 20 years without remission in the case of honour killing of a young
couple, Manoj and Babli. It acquitted two other persons, main
conspirator Ganga Raj and Satish, for want of evidence. While Satish
had earlier been awarded death sentence, Ganga Raj was awarded life
imprisonment.

Coming down heavily on the Haryana Police for shoddy investigation in
the matter, the court ordered disciplinary action against the
investigating police officials. he couple, Manoj, 23, and Babli, 19,
had married in 2007 against the wishes of their families. Manoj, who
ran an electronics repair shop at Kaithal, eloped with Babli, resident
of Karoran village in May 2007.

They were murdered the next month. Suresh, brother of Babli, Rajinder
and Baru Ram (both uncles) and Gurdev and Satish (both cousins) were
awarded the death penalty by Additional District and Sessions Judge
Vani Gopal Sharma on March, 30 last year. Except Satish, who has been
acquitted by the high court, the other four will serve 20 years in
prison. The HC said that their term will be without remission. Mandeep
Singh, a driver, who was convicted for abduction of the couple, has
been given seven years in jail. However, Khap panchayat leader Ganga
Raj, who was also convicted for murder along with the other five
people, was acquitted. The convicted had conspired to kill the couple
after a khap panchayat decision declaring their marriage invalid.
Ganga Raj, a small-time political leader and Babli's relative, was
part of the khap decision. After chasing the couple for days, Babli's
relatives dragged them out of a Karnal-bound bus in June 2007,
brutally murdered them and threw their bodies in a canal. IANS

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

[ZESTCaste] Jat agitation grips other states

 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lucknow/Jat-agitation-grips-other-states/articleshow/7689244.cms

Jat agitation grips other states

TNN | Mar 13, 2011, 04.44am IST
LUCKNOW: The Jat agitation demanding reservation in central services
and in states of Punjab, Haryana and Jammu under other backward class
(OBC) category spread to other parts of UP and adjoining states on
Saturday.

While the rail route blockade at Kafurpur in JP Nagar continued for
seventh day, Jatwala Khap panchayat of Jats in Muzaffarnagar served an
ultimatum that it will block all roads to Delhi from their district if
the demand was not met in next 48 hours. Reports of Jats blocking the
roads and holding demonstrations also poured in from Haryana and
Punjab. Jats may hold a protest in Delhi on Sunday.

In UP, Jats under the banner of All India Jat Arakshan Samiti have
blocked the rail tracks in Kafurpur for past one week, causing a loss
of over Rs eight crore to railways and inconvenience to over two lakh
people. All major trains connecting Uttarakhand and west UP to Delhi
are not plying on the route since the start of the agitation. Trains
to other parts of UP and beyond have been diverted, leading to 10-12
hours delay in movement.

No relief appears in sight as the Central government has not taken any
concrete step so far to persuade Jats to withdraw the agitation. The
talks between Jat delegation and Union cabinet secretary KM
Chandrashekhar remained inconclusive on Thursday. While the Centre
wants more time to consider the demand, Jats said they will not lift
the siege till their demand is met or they get an assurance either
from UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi or Congress general secretary Rahul
Gandhi.

All India Jat Arakshan Samiti president Yashpal Mallik said the demand
of reservation for the Jat community, which includes Hindus, Muslims
and Sikhs settled in different parts of north India, is 20 years old.
For past three years, he added, Jats have been peacefully agitating.
"Several times in the past we withdrew our agitation on the assurance
of the government but this time we want something concrete," he said.
He also pointed out that when Jats have already been provided
reservation under OBC category in UP and Rajasthan, why the Centre is
reluctant to implement it in the central services. While thanking UP
chief minister Mayawati for her support, Mallik said the agitation is
non-political. "Anybody who wants to support us can do so but no party
politics or self-promotion will be allowed from our platform," he
said. Political parties, barring the Bahujan Samaj Party, have been
silent over the issue so far.

Meanwhile, rail services were disrupted at Hisar in Haryana due to the
Jat stir. The rail traffic was affected on Hisar-Bhiwani, Hisar-Jakhal
and Hisar-Sadalpur, a railway official said. The Jats also held
protest at Narwana affecting rail traffic on Delhi-Ferozepur section.
Six khap panchayats of Narwana in Haryana have decided to support the
agitation. In Punjab, Jats blocked the Amritsar-Jalandhar rail section
at village Khilchian near Amritsar. Jat leaders said they are planning
to hold an agitation at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
.

__,_._,___

[ZESTCaste] UP to launch Rs 2,000 crore scheme for dalits

 

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/up-to-launch-rs-2000-crore-scheme-for-dalits/606654.html

UP to launch Rs 2,000 crore scheme for dalits
PTI | 09:03 PM,Mar 11,2011

Lucknow, Mar 11 (PTI) To improve the condition of dalit localities in
urban areas of the state, the Uttar Pradesh government today announced
to launch Rs 2,000 crore Kanshiram Urban Dalit Dominated Localities
Development Scheme. "To improve the poor condition of dalit-dominated
localities in the urban areas, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati
has decided to implement Kanshiramji Urban Dalit Dominated Localities
Development Scheme," Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told
reporters here. He said that under the new scheme, an expenditure of
Rs 2,000 crore would be made in the next financial year and in the
first phase 250 dalit dominating localities will be selected in a
descending order. "During her surprise inspection of all the 72
districts in the state, the CM realised that urban dalits and poor
were not getting their due rights," he said. The cabinet secretary
said that financial and physical review of various programmes being
implemented under the scheme would be done on regular basis. "Besides
providing basic amenities and development works benefits of various
pension schemes, scholarships and grant will be provided to the
people," he said.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
.

__,_._,___

[ZESTCaste] 98 put on trial for killing 2 Dalits

 

http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5022574

11/03/2011
98 put on trial for killing 2 Dalits

New Delhi, Mar 11 (PTI) A Delhi court today put 98 upper caste men on
trial for the killing of two Dalits in a Haryana village, terming the
dominant Jat community as "aggressor" and Dalits as "sufferers" in the
incident.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau framed charges against 98 Haryana
natives saying "I may further observe that the context of the caste
cannot be lost sight of in the present case and it is writ large that
the accused belonging to dominant caste (Jaat community) were the
aggressors and the victims belonging to the Dalit community were the
sufferers."
"The entire incident took place within the full public view of the
residents of the village and hence the provisions of the Scheduled
Caste/ Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 would
apply," ASJ Lau said, while framing charges under various provisions
of the Indian Penal Code and the Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribes
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
She said there was enough prima facie evidence against the accused to
put them on trial.
"This is immaterial whether the case is based on direct or
circumstantial evidence. This court is only required to see if there
is sufficient prima facie ground for proceeding against the accused,"
she said.
The penal provisions, with which the accused have been charged, are
related to the offences of murder, rioting, making unlawful assembly,
promoting enmity between different communities, physical assault,
creating mischief and damaging public property, besides the conspiracy
to commit the crime.
While framing the charges against the 98 men, the court said the Dalit
victim and his daughter had been burnt alive by a rampaging mob at
Mirchpur village of the state''s Hissan district on April 21 last
year.
"The postmortem report of the deceased Tara Chand and his daughter
Suman also show that they had expired on account of burn injuries
connected with the incident," the Special Judge under the SC/ST Act
said in her order framing charges.
"Further, the report regarding the damage of immovable properties and
theft of movables has also been placed before me and has been
perused," the court said.
The accused, however, did not plead guilty to the charges and preferred trial.
The court posted the matter for recording of evidence of victims and
other witnesses on March 18.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
.

__,_._,___

Blog Archive