Tuesday, June 1, 2010

[ZESTCaste] My caste don’t ask: I am an Indian (Opinion)

http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=347&page=32

Home > 2010 Issues > June 06, 2010


Reaction

My caste don't ask: I am an Indian

By Sudesh Verma

There are many people like me who would think of all these questions
when the enumerators come to them. They had no role in chosing their
caste. They became a Brahmin or a Kayastha by default. Likewise, their
children too did not have the choice of being born casteless unless
one identity was completely merged into the other. What should these
people do then now?

I am thinking of putting out a board in front of our two-room
apartment in Delhi saying that we are four members-My wife my two
children aged 8 and 4 respectively and I. We will enumerate ourselves
as Indians and not the castes to which we belong. Lest it sound
arrogant to our policy makers that I am refusing to follow their
diktat. On caste enumeration I have a question to ask them: Which
caste we would belong?

My details are: I am a Kayastha married to a Kashmiri Pandit. I do not
know which caste my children belong to since the court has also
recognised the rights of mothers. I did not feel feudal enough to ask
my wife to drop her maiden name despite objections to it by my father.
As a result my two sons identify themselves as either a Bihari or a
Kashmiri depending on their company and at times Indians. I have never
seen them reacting as caste members. I have never taken them to a
Chitragupta puja to help them identify with the caste I was born into.

I have always made it a point to help them identify with the national
flag and the national anthem. The first festival they know is
Independence Day. I do not know what to tell the enumerators when they
come knocking at the door. My children may not understand what we tell
the enumerators but I am scared they would ask this question when they
grow old enough to understand the importance of caste. They may like
to know what caste we identified ourselves with and them. What is the
caste I should tell the enumerators, my dear policy makers?

I thought of another contradiction in our family. Since we, husband
and wife, belong to different castes, we have not been able to
identify with one caste or the other. Our families have been
particular that the caste identities are not spoken about even in
private talks. They may have an opinion about us, but that has failed
to bring caste into our relations. Is it the time to celebrate now
that the government wants to know our castes.

After 10 years my eldest child will be 18 and will have the right to
vote. There will be another census then. He will need to mention his
caste then. What will happen to him? That will also be the time when
he would come to know that his closet friend was a Dalit or a Yadav
and they are not from his caste stock. Will he then behave with them
in the same way?

There are many people like me who would think of all these questions
when the enumerators come to them. They had no role in chosing their
caste. They became a Brahmin or a Kayastha by default. Likewise, their
children too did not have the choice of being born casteless unless
one identity was completely merged into the other. What should these
people do then now?

They have one clear option the way I have decided: Call yourselves
Indians and send a strong message that we disagree. This is democracy.
Let those who want to benefit from caste enumeration list their
castes. We do not want to benefit even if you are thinking of
reservation to so-called forward castes in identity dominated
politics.

I am yet to figure out how enumeration of castes will benefit social
justice. Will it now be reservation based on proportion in population
something that was talked about by Kanshi Ram. Will it then mean
legislation to delimit the upper limit fixed till now? If this is not
the reason then what is the purpose of caste enumeration. Let economic
criteria dominate government doles and not castes or this would change
the definition of development.

Those who talk of caste enumeration cite caste realities and identity
politics to justify their arguments. What is the harm in having the
real figures then, they say. But hold! There are many other issues
that are as much a reality as caste. One such thing is corruption. The
other is the age-old and well-known institution of prostitution.
People have been trying to fight these issues and to lift the country
and society out of complete degradation. Why do we not think of
legalising these? At least it would help the children of destitute
prostitutes in most by-lanes of India 's metros and historic towns.

Politics is supposed to be the instrument of social change more so as
we are embracing modernisation in terms of economy and development.
But when politics becomes a means to achieve power, it loses its moral
values. In the rat race of manipulating caste data to political
advantage, politicians today are silent accomplices to the retrograde
steps. We will not move an inch closer to modernism but move backwards
to from where we started: The Manusmriti. The next step would be more
such khap panchayats to prevent inter-caste marriage since this would
affect the numbers and destabilise political equations.

My question needs an answer, my dear policy makers. Remember I am not alone.

(The author is a senior journalist Political Analyst and CEO ORSAA)


------------------------------------

----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
ZESTCaste-digest@yahoogroups.com
ZESTCaste-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ZESTCaste-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive