Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[ZESTCaste] 'Dalits should refrain from any violence'

 

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-09-13/madurai/30149177_1_dalit-villages-dalit-community-police-custody

'Dalits should refrain from any violence'
TNN Sep 13, 2011, 06.12am IST

MADURAI: The arrest of John Pandian, president of Tamizhaga Makkal
Munnetra Kazhagam, ahead of the Immanuel Sekaran anniversary led to
the stand-off between dalits and the police resulting in the firing
that took seven lives. TOI's K Ramanujam spoke to John Pandian, who is
in police custody at Vallanad near Tirunelveli, over phone:

Are you aware of the Paramakudi situation?

Tomorrow, I expect to be released from police custody. I plan to talk
to all the leaders of the dalit villages. Tuticorin district collector
has issued orders preventing me from entering Ramanathapuram district.
I plan to file a case in high court against the order and seek
permission to visit victims' families.

What do you have to say about the violence?

I don't have a clear picture of how the violence started. All I have
is information given to me by the police. I need to talk to my people
to get the real picture of the incidents. I will talk in detail after
I speak to them.

There are complaints that the compensation paid to victims of the
police firing is inadequate.

I still don't have a clear picture about the scale of violence and the
loss of life and property. So, I'll get the details and then comment
on the issue.

Do you wish to say anything to your followers?

I request all members of the dalit community to refrain from violence.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
----
INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail. Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to ZESTMedia-digest@yahoogroups.com, OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/join/

PARTICIPATE:-
On this list you can share caste news, discuss caste issues and network with like-minded anti-caste people from across India and the world. Just write to zestcaste@yahoogroups.com

TELL FRIENDS TO SIGN UP:-
If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank mail to ZESTCaste-subscribe@yahoogroups.com OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join/

Also have a look at our sister list, ZESTMedia: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTMedia/
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive